What’s the Deprived Community?
The project stems from wanting to explore topics of gender and the societal impact on expected behaviours.
The Deprived Community is a network created to provide an outlet for conversations based on gender, identity, individual and collective experiences, social pressures and influences of gender roles. The project invites people to share their stories and express themselves through creative means.
Scroll down for more information!
What is the project exactly?
To start the conversation on gender, Deprived team members have invited family and friends to take part in a interview-based discussions. Now, we would like to invite you to take part too, if you’re comfortable with participating!
Here are questions that I posed during the interviews. I suggest you use them as a foundation for your journey, but if you have a story that relates to gender and doesn’t fit into these questions, I still invite you to share it.
- How do you experience gender?
- How do you identify through gender?
- Do you find that your gender identification helps you comfortably express the ‘real’ you?
- In your perspective, how is gender defined or categorized? And do you find this classification to be beneficial to society?
- Do you feel the need to conform or perform to specific gender roles based on your preferred gender identification?
- Do you feel that people place expected behaviours upon you based on your gender identity?
- Do you find gender identity to be limiting or beneficial to self-expression?
And now, you may be wondering…
How do you participate?
Projects can be audio, photography, visual art, literature and/or music.
If you have made a project in the past, are inspired to submit a future project, or want to propose an idea to create alongside Deprived team members, follow the steps numbered below.
- Fill out the Publication Agreement and Disclaimer form.
- Include a statement providing a description of your content and/or proposal.
- Send documents (signed publication agreement and statement) along with any visual records of your work to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note: If submissions are anonymous, please state.
And now, say hello to the Deprived Community.